Running a company is never easy. You have so many things on your mind, from ideas that should be implemented in the future to managing your employees. However, some things simply can’t get overlooked if you want to grow your company and make it more profitable.
Without productive employees, it will be impossible to achieve all of your goals. After all, you can have the best product or service in the world but if you don’t have the right people working for you, you won’t be able to stay competitive for longer than a few months.
The best way to ensure your people are motivated to do their best is by helping them track their time. It’s up to you to choose whether you will use a time tracking app for that or some of the old-fashion methods.
On a Piece of Paper
Yes, this is the oldest method there is but it’s still very efficient. When you’re on a meeting or thinking of tasks that need to be done that day, chances are that piece of paper and pen will be right next to you, right? Start writing down all of your tasks but make sure you’re prioritizing them right as it’s not very easy to reorganize tasks written on a piece of paper.
Also Read: 7 Ways to Make Your HR Department Go Digital
However, writing things down is a bit time-consuming and if you want to be productive and save time, here’s what you should do:
- Write all your tasks in one notebook and add hours you’ve worked right next to it.
- At the end of your working day, create a summary with just names of the activities and hours spent working on it.
- Prepare your assignments for tomorrow by writing them down and leave enough space to add the hours.
Time Tracking Apps
This is the easiest and most comfortable way to track your time. With handwritten notes, it’s hard for a manager to verify or even count the number of hours you’ve spent working on a particular assignment. Not to mention that unintentional mistakes often happen when you’re writing in a rush.
On the other hand, time tracking apps are very convenient as all you have to do is to turn on the app when you start working and turn it off. The majority of these apps have features such as reports and other useful statistics, so you won’t have to calculate a thing.
Below, you can see some of the benefits of having a time tracking app:
- You will have more time to focus on your actual assignments instead of thinking about time management.
- Reports help you understand which projects take the most of your time.
- You can see in which part of the day you are most and least productive with statistical data.
Some companies choose to create a sheet with all of their projects and ask every employee to insert the time they spend working on each project every day. This approach is most popular with agencies as they are working on several projects at once and the majority of employees is working on the same projects.
You can use Google Drive to share this sheet and track each time someone inputs their time in it. Also, you can create alerts when the deadline is approaching by determining a specific color that will imply that something is of higher priority for your team.
Here are a few useful tips when creating a shared sheet:
- Send instructions to all of your employees, especially the new ones.
- If you’re going to use colors and assign them different statuses, provide a legend within the sheet.
- Determine the deadline when all of the hours need to be added to the sheet.
All of the above-mentioned methods will be a good way to track your employee time. The only thing you should never do is to ignore the importance of time management in your company. It might seem like something you can neglect at first, but once your business starts to suffer, this will be your biggest reason why!