“When Magento 1 is running fine, why migrate to Magento 2?” It is pretty natural to think this way but guess what, the time to wave goodbye to Magento 1 is almost near and whether you like it or not, you have to migrate.
By June 2020, Magento 1 will be no more, which means, the support for Magento 1 won’t be available and your site surviving on Magento 1 will become vulnerable to risks and threats. Magneto 2 is not new in the field. It has been here since 2015, yet many of them are still to accept it and the reason? The migration process.
Migration is not merely shifting from an old chair to a new chair; it is a whole process which a many fear and have been procrastinating for a very long time. But now, the dead-end is near and here are the reasons why you must migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 if you are still finding a way to postpone it.
Why migrate from Magento 1 to 2?
The following are the reasons why migration to Magento 2 has become mandatory;
1. End of support
The official announcement has been made and by June 2020, Magento representatives will stop supporting Magento 1. The updates for plug-ins and modules won’t be released anymore, and hence the performance of your Magento site will start sliding down.
2. Security breaches
A secure site lives more prolonged, but if you are adamant about sticking to Magneto 1 only, your site won’t survive for long as a security breach can happen anytime. Since Magento will stop releasing Community and Enterprise 1.x security patches from June 2020, your site will become vulnerable to cyber-attacks and hacks. So, you will be putting your website along with your customer’s data at grave security and performance risk by delaying migration more and more.
3. Heavy rush
About 250,000 live stores are running on Magento till date and the more you postpone it, the more massive the rush will be, and it will become challenging for you then to find a right migrating partner and the wait will make you impatient. Hence, migrate.
What are the benefits of migrating?
- Better site performance as the page loads 50% faster
- Improved customer experience
- Better mobile designs and shopping experience
- Advanced reporting
- Attractive UI design
- Streamlined checkout process
- Intuitive admin
- The decrease in abandoned shopping cart rate.
- Increase in sales and conversion rates
Now, comes the part how to migrate?
Before migration, prepare a migration plan and do the following;
- Check and decide what all you need to migrate. You don’t need to take the chunk with you. Make a list of what to be kept and removed.
- Make a full backup of your Magento 1 store along with the necessary database, files, and folders.
- Avoid live store migration. Make a clone of your previous store and then carry out the migration process as it will take time and till then you can run your store as it is.
- Check the compatibility of the extensions, custom codes, and themes of your Magneto 1 with 2.
Generally, migration from 1 to 2 happens in four easy steps.
Theme Migration – If you want to install your Magento 1 theme to Magento 2 as it is, we can set up a Magento 2 theme and customize it to replicate the design of a previous Magento store or develop a custom Magento 2 theme that will meet your business goals perfectly.
Extension Migration – We can help you integrate the extension of your Magneto 1 store into 2 with the same features. Alternatively, we can also develop custom extensions for Magento 2 store from scratch.
Customization Migration – Every Magento 1 store is running on custom code since it is an open-source platform. Hence, to migrate it to the Magento 2 platform safely, we make use of Code Migration Toolkit, which makes custom code migration easier.
Data Migration – The most crucial step is migrating the entire data of your store to the new structure of Magneto 2. With the help of Magento 2 Data Migration Tool, we ensure a smooth migration of all the critical data such as products, orders, categories, store settings & configurations, etc. of your store to Magento 2.
Why migrate with Design’N’Buy?
Design’N’Buy helps you uniquely migrate your Magneto store. Unlike other, Design’N’Buy will give you a complete and safe migration by following a result-focused 7-step migration process;
- Identifications of customizations required depending upon the client’s M1 version
- Assessment and migration of the product, order and customer data
- Discussion of any new functionality or UI and theme requirements
- Implementation of core feature and add-on functionalities
- Optimization and quality check of the website
- Completion of on-page SEO formalities
- Site re-launch