How to

How to Change My Mailing Address with the Post Office

If you are planning to relocate due to some reasons you can certainly change the mailing address to the new address. You can easily request a change for both permanent and temporary moves.

You can submit a change of address up to three months in advance or even much later but it takes approximately one week before your forwarded mail is delivered to your new address.

USPS charges certain fees in order to change your address by phone or email but does not charge anything to submit a paper change of address form. The U.S Postal Service recommends you to file a change of address at least two weeks prior to your actual move date.

Below are the steps which you need to follow for a change of mailing address with the post office.

Step 1: 

  1. Just visit
  2. Now, choose between a permanent or temporary move.
  3. Enter the date on which you would like your mail to start forwarding to the new address.
  4. After that, fill in the necessary information for example your name, your new and old addresses.
  5. Now, pay a $1.00 verification fee with a credit card or debit card and complete the process of changing your address online.

Step 2:

  1. Call on 1-800-275-8777 to change your mailing address by phone. 
  2. Now, answer the necessary questions.
  3. Pay $1.00 verification free and complete the process.

Step 3:

  1. Get a copy of form PS 3575 from your local post office or ask your mail carrier to provide one.
  2. After that, fill out and sign the form.
  3. Then bring it to the local post office.
  4. You can submit the form by either of the two methods, that is by giving it to a mail carrier or placing it in a mail collection box.
  5. Postage is not required on this form.

Leave a Comment