What are Colocation Services?
A colocation often referred to as ‘colo’ service is a data centre facility where the business rents outs his space for servers along with other computing-related hardware. To a customer, a colo provider offers building, cooling, power, bandwidth along with physical security to the customer.
In return, the customer offers servers and storage. Today, many colo providers have expanded their offerings in order to include managed services for supporting the business initiatives of their customers.
Colocation Services Benefits
- With a collocated and multi-tenant data centre in place gives the businesses to scale out their environment for certain needs. It helps in splitting the expenses pertaining to space and equipment along with other costs, thus making a multi-tenant data centre a more cost-efficient option. Also, the companies get benefits like modern infrastructure, skilled data centre operators to name a few.
- With full-time support, the businesses are assured that their systems are being looked at by a certified team of IT experts. These experts are going to eventually function as an extension to your company. In the case of an urgency that needs immediate action, the onsite technical staff needs to be available to troubleshoot and resolve any kind of issue. When the user decides to go for a colocation hosting, he needs to assure that the provider indispensably offers support.
- The colocation providers offer expanded network and options related connectivity of carriers. The providers of colocation are usually neutral, offering a competitive marketplace within their data centres.
- Colo data centres offer much better energy efficiency and cooling as compared to the server rooms placed in buildings. Improved power efficiency helps in overall reducing the energy consumption, thus, leading to higher cost savings. Reliable and redundant power, network and cooling infrastructure are provided by a colocation data centre, besides an uptime SLAs that become essential for the companies who’re dependent majorly on online traffic and e-commerce.
- With a colocation data centre, companies can enhance those resources that might not have been them due to high costs. One such resource is security. Colo offers robust layers of security for protecting their infrastructure; comprising of security cameras, enforced security procedures along with technical personnel and full-time security staff.
Also Read: Is Cloud Hosting good for your IT Business
Considerations Related to Colocation Services
Following are some considerations that one needs to keep in mind when going for a colocation service-
- Every business organization looks for high functioning, quality, and a faster internet connection to optimize and carry out their daily operations. In the absence of a reliable Internet connection, it can lead to damage to the infrastructure of the business. The connectivity alternates along with services offered by colo data centres are more reliable and affordable as compared to the in-house hosting services.
- One of the major reasons why businesses go for a colo data centre is because they offer enhanced security levels. Colo data centres are a remote facility storing in-house crucial information. Security measures in a colocation service become an important aspect to consider when a budget is defined for data centre services. Both physical and virtual security measures are considered when it comes to securing colo data centre services. Physical security includes full-time monitoring as well as restricted access for ensuring high-security measures to the colo data centres. Virtual security mechanisms could include biometrics, which is a popular method for securing crucial information about the organization.
- The colocation budget for any data centre provider is directly influenced depending on the condition of supply and demand taking place in the market. The colocation provider needs to keep itself updated with all the latest trends and changes taking place in the market.
- Colocation facilities are always in need of energy and thus power configurations play a major role when considering the colocation costs. The power costs of a colocation depend on factors like- facility size, power source, and location.
- A colocation data centre houses expensive and high-quality equipment and thus, the protection of the equipment becomes a crucial consideration while defining a budget for colocation services. To avoid high maintenance costs, it is becoming crucial to make a one-time yet high investment in colocation services for providing high-standard solutions for protecting the equipment housed in a data centre facility.
With colocation in place, it allows the business owners to leverage the benefits of higher bandwidths as compared to the in-house data centres. Also, colocation maximizes uptime using redundant power and Internet connections. Colocation is a more cost-effective solution and when one opts for renting out space in a shred colocation facility it reduces overhead costs of the business.