The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) is generally used to improve the security of credit card, debit card, Gift Card and Cash Card transactions. Also, PCI DSS protects cardholders from misuse of their personal information from hackers.
The PCI DSS was formed jointly by four major credit-card companies in 2004 i.e., American Express, Visa, Discover Financial Services, JCB International, and MasterCard. This service governed by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council (PCI SSC). The objective of PCI DSS is to implement secure Debit and Credit card transactions against data fraud.
Six Major Objectives of PCI DSS:
- The transaction can be completed with upgraded security. This function can be implemented with the use of Firewalls. A firewall is to secure the cardholder transactions. Standard Firewalls are available for WLANs. Which is highly workable on hacker attacks and vulnerable to eavesdropping. PINs (personal identification numbers) and Passwords must not be appeared as by default by any vendor.
- Understanding the criticality of cardholder data information. Sources of data such as DOB, Social security numbers, Mothers maiden name, Mailing addresses and Phone numbers.
- Keeping updated on Anti-Virus Software, anti-malware solutions and anti-spyware programs for systems security purpose.
- Keeping restrictions on information and operations of systems information and operations. All our system is protected. Every person must use a unique and confidential identification number and name. Cardholder data should be protected by Electronically as well as physically.
- All networks are constantly tested and monitored to place process on place, should function properly and stay up to date. For Example, Anti-Virus and Anti Spyware programs should be updated with the latest functions. These programs should be scan from all type of exchange data, All RAM, and all storage media.
- With PCI DSS, your formal information security policy must be maintained, defined, and followed.
As PCI SSC has no Legal compel compliance. This is the requirement of every business for Credit and debit card transactions process. PCI Certification us the best way to secure data and payment information. With this step, the business can build rapport with the customers.
PCI DSS requirements
The PCI DSS has few requirements for managing cardholder data to maintain in a secure server network.
1) Information security
Information security must be upgraded
2) Secure Network in Payment gateway
- A firewall system must be maintained and installed
- System passwords should be Original
3) Vulnerability management
- Anti-virus should be updated and use on a regular basis.
- Secure Network systems and applications must be maintained.
4) Network Testing and Monitoring
- Access must be monitored and tracked by Cardholder Data and network.
- Systems process and systems security must be regularly tested.
5) Protect cardholder data
- Sometimes cardholder saved data in devices, that must be protected
- Encrypted Data Transmissions across the public networks of the cardholder.
6) Access control
- Data should be restricted to the cardholder.
- The unique ID must be assigned to every person with the workstation.
- Physical Access to cardholder must be restricted.
7) Securing Payment Applications and Gateways
A payment process is anything that stores, transmits, or processes that cardholder information. This covers everything from the swipe systems in any business to the software used in your E-Commerce shopping cart.